I want to install Mcafee securtiy. They say I cannot because I have windows xp internet explorer 32 bit and 64 bit both installed. They say I need to uninstall both then reinstall the 64 bit. Is this the best thing to do? If so how do I do it?
Solutoins to the Problem: Unable to install McAfee Security software
To focus in the right direction, could you please provide the exact error message that you receive while installing McAfee security software.
What is the version of Internet Explorer that you’re currently running?
Note: If you’re using Internet Explorer Version 6 on your computer, then you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer 6 is the default web browser that comes along with Windows XP.
In other words, you cannot
uninstall a Windows component that is integrated with the operating system.
If you’ve a later version of Internet Explorer 6, then you can try uninstalling it by following the steps mentioned in the link below.
Visit the links that talk about how to uninstall Internet Explorer.
How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
Uninstall Internet Explorer 8
Note: If you don't reinstall Internet Explorer 8, your computer will revert to Internet Explorer 7 and the Internet Explorer 7 cumulative updates that were on your computer before installing Internet Explorer 8.
Microsoft Update to be sure your computer isn't missing the latest Internet Explorer 7 updates.
The same statement holds good for Internet Explorer 6.
Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.
Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support
Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message.
By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
Use the Sfc tool to repair - Unable to install McAfee Security software
sfc is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.
For Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
- Start an elevated command prompt. To do this, do the following as your appropriate:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search. Type Command Prompt in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
For Windows 7, Windows 10, or Windows Vista
- To do this, click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
- sfc /scannow
- The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.
- Attention: Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
- To resolve this problem, perform the System File Checker scan in safe mode, and make sure that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp.
Reinstall your Windows
When you have tried the above methods but can't seem to fix your problem, you can reinstall your Operating System and install a "clean" copy of Windows onto your laptop again. But this should be the last resort to fix your problem, as this will completely erase everything on your hard disk and it will take you a lot of time to reinstall all your software back to your computer. It's very necessary for you to back up all files, pictures and personal information before you do that.
What do Users Say about this application?
Muy buen programa
- Flora Pena
- [Anwsered] Unable to access URL: https://www.flickr.com in IE11 error - This page can't be displayed
- [Solved] Unable to add Flip video to Windows DVD Maker, error: The file C:\Users...\FlipShare\DataVideos\...MP4 is not a supported file type and could not be imported.
- Unable to delete items from my browsing history
- Solution to Error: Unable to find PDC Emulator server in My Network Places on DC
- How to Resolve - Unable to install / Uninstall any applications. Setups will not complete. Would this have anything to do with VSS nolonger working??
- Unable to install HP 12C Financial Calculator in Windows 7. [Anwsered]
- [Anwsered] Unable to open .jar files after changing the default programs
- [Anwsered] Unable to open any programs, I think somehow the files were changed to .lnk files
- [Anwsered] Unable to open website, error message "This webpage not available due to DNS, firewall preventing Google chrome or misconfiguring the network".
- How to Resolve - Unable to print documents-X Debug Assertion Failed!?
- Unable to use some commands in IE 8 toolbar [Anwsered]
- [Solved] Unicode;vundefined;Wins.1.2600.2
- unresponsive Facebook page, cant download file or programmes [Anwsered]
- Up for a challenge, anyone?? [Anwsered]
- How to Resolve - USB RF Remote Receiver problem?
- Use Systemax Ultimate Software collection. Windows 005 (V.2) on Windows 7
- Usefulness (or lack thereof) of "record macro" (in editing a chart)? [Solved]
- [Solution] User having sudden java issue in IE 6 on web site that has previously worked, and that has not changed.
- [Solved] Using IF (or another?) function for critical path question
- Using W. 7 can't get airnewzealand to function.
- [Solution] 24 hours .. no freeze .. no 'not responding' messages
- Solution to Error: Auto-formatting of pasted cell text to date... turn it off.
- How to Resolve - CD/DVD DRIVE NOT WORKING SINCE INSTALLING WINDOWS 8.?
- How to Resolve - Corrupted Download of Windows 7 RC?
- Excel sort street address by zip code____I have a list of street addresses that I want to sort by the last item in the address which is the zip code. __ [Solved]
- [Solved] Field auto change to date field in an excel file
- Solution to Error: Flashplayer/Vista 64 Bit incompatable...
- How to Fix - How can I insert a file so that the bookmarks stay intact??
- [Solution] IE8 does NOT allow ANY Active-X downloads, not even from Microsoft!!
- How to Resolve - IE8 opens several blank pages before one loads?
- [Solved] Internet Explorer 9 freezes or stops responding while opening links using hyperlink
- How to Resolve - Multitasking in windows 8.1 pro?
- Solution to Error: Step by step,how to defrag my pc windows 7
- Streets & Trips worked in Vista but not in Windows 7 __popup says your registry settings for this application were not copied correctly. I've tried to reinstall [Solved]
- this application failed to start because side-by-side-configuration is incorrect 2 [Solved]
- toggle button to alter command button macro? [Anwsered]
- Unable to Import *.pst file back into Outlook 2002 reformatting to Windows 7
- Upgraded to windows 7 Hp on my Dell laptop and the zoom, scroll feature on the Dell T pad stopped working.
- Use MSQuery to query 'Internal' Data from tables (or named range) within the current Active workbook - Excel 2007 [Anwsered]
- Very Disappointed in Win 8.1 Pro [Anwsered]